Wednesday, October 21, 2009

No Drama You Said

Hey folks,
so I haven't written for a while and I need to back up and recount some dates that I have went on during that whole "Plenty of Fish" period.

Reading through the profiles, I was attracted to this fun-loving guy that had gorgeous blue eyes. We emailed back and forth but by day three we graduated to text messages and then finally to the phone. We chatted on the phone all night, and then we met in person the next day and spent a very interesting day in Santa Monica. But let me go back... the main selling point for this gentleman was that he had lived all over the world. He spoke French and German fluently (his father was in the UN) and he was laid back, and life loving. He protested he was devoid of drama and outlined all sorts of drama he was not looking for in a mate. I fit the bill. So I was really excited to meet him though I had just hung up the phone with him about 4 hours previously.

Upon our meeting, I was shy at first. He was a little more trendy than I like. Physically he was exquisite, well muscled torso, with a very cool laid back style, and did I mention that I have a weakness for blue eyes? He had amazing blue eyes that shone like a cerulean blue sea, sparkling with diamonds. I have only encountered this color twice before.

I know that I am no beauty queen, but I could sense from right off the bat something was remiss. Was it me, was I too fat for him, not pretty enough, did I have a booger hanging out of my nose? :P Who knows.

We went to an appropriately French cafe where after a few staring contests and absurd smiles, two French ladies sat next to us. I sat and watched him converse with them, laugh at Americans, and compliment me on my skinny form. Apparently they feel that Americans are obese on average. So as I sat back and genuinely enjoyed the exchange, I watched his body language for signs. He was uncomfortable in their compliments towards me. He was annoyed that they linked us romantically. Interesting. Commitment issues right off the bat.

After we left the cafe, he was oddly not ready to part with my company though the vigor of interest in our phone call was all but diminished. I kept waiting for the "well I have to get going, it was nice meeting you" line to erupt but no dice. I was still curious. I think he could tell that I could see right through his facade. It took about 10 minutes of jokes and idle prattle for him to start complaining about his life. His sister didn't defend him, he was hot headed and he felt unsupported. He didn't have a job and he hated his father. Oh, the ooooooze of issues that fell out of his mouth. He had been given all the privileges of the world, and he hated his life. He complained about ex-girlfriends and friends, and to top it off, he was in court for DUI issues. As I wasted time listening to this poor boy, I laughed to myself and thought about guys who complain about getting the friend card. Something I am familiar with.

We parted ways amicably, but I knew that I would never hear from him again. He just exposed his soul to me in a matter of six hours. He could tell that I had his number, and that he would never be able to pull the wool over my eyes. For someone who claimed to not want any drama, it must have been because he had enough of his own. I truly felt sorry for him. I also felt that I thankfully dodged a bullet.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like one of his problems was he was afraid that if people saw you with him more people would be looking at you and *not* him.

    ReplyDelete