Thursday, April 30, 2009

Age ain't nuthin but a number...

...when it comes to men. I have met men who were two-thirds my age and had it all together, and men twice my age that can't scrape together two dimes. I have never been one to age discriminate for I was blessed with the young gene and look about 5-10 years younger than I actually am. This age ambiguity, has given me the opportunity to feel out the male gender at many age levels. Since my recent experiences have been younger dudes, I shot for the opposite.
So I joined this site called Sugardaddy.com and it was fun to know that I supposedly was talking to men who on average made $100,000 or above. I was chatting to some pretty heavy hitters, some great scam artists, and your average I am looking for a bunny to take to Cabo for a good time. Then came the Movie Producer. While I don't harbor any secret "I want to be an actress" desires; I always like to be around creative types and hey, if he wants to read a script I won't deny him. He boasted of his partnership with one of the legends in the comic book industry, which made me all googly. After weeks of chatting and phone calls, I decided that this person was someone whom might have it all. His picture was decent, he was intelligent, and well spoken. His pedigree/resume checked out (I always do my due diligence). So when he asked me to come to Vegas and put me and my daughter up in a hotel for the weekend and hang out, I thought why not? Its not like I didn't know the hotel. I used to live across the street from it. It wasn't like I didn't have friends in Vegas, and I know that city like the back of my hand. I love Vegas! So heck, I was driving my own car so I really couldn't see the harm. Plus without a job, I needed a vacation. Wait... Nevermind.
So 3 1/2 hours later I pull into the hotel valet and head into the lobby. I sit patiently in the lobby for him to arrive, and almost choke on my water when I notice a man vaguely resembling the picture I saw, dressed like a retired Mafioso. Velour tracksuit, gold bling everywhere, and a shabby ballcap. Okay, don't balk,I say to myself, its casual Friday. He made the hotel arrangements and asked if we were hungry. I responded with a "sure!" I was, and the Mon-chi-chi is always ready to eat. While I am not opposed to the hotel restaurant, it was a little disconcerting since we were in VEGAS and there is so much more cuisine to choose from. Alas, apparently I am not worthy of a gourmet meal. The man takes me through the hotel lobby to the upscale Denny's style eatery where he has enough gambling credits to get the meal for free... and he tells me this in boast. Classy. So we sit down and begin to chat. This man, who has many years behind him, instead of having something intelligent to say, begins to name-drop left and right. I got this very baseball cap from so and so, and he signed it, and my ex wife is the heiress to the UPS fortune, and yadda yadda yadda. Then he begins to tell me all about these actresses who are trying to hook up with him and he can't find anyone real until he met me. Hmmm... contrariwise you think? I keep thinking to myself where is the confidence and subtle patronizing that he displayed over technological devices that swayed me so.
Moving on... the meal begins to arrive, and I watch how this man repeatedly abuses the waiter. I speak up and try to reassure the waiter that everything is fine, but this man keeps throwing these mini-temper tantrums at him for silly little things. Not to mention, I could see that we came right at shift change so I was a helluva lot more understanding than he was. I tried to explain this to him and he kept griping, to which I responded calmly, "You have never worked for a day's wage in your life have you?"
With a raise of an eyebrow and not even remotely perturbed expression; he said, "No, of course not, I was an athlete and then I married rich." Despicable. I would have love to have seen a picture of my face at that moment. To say that least, I KNOW my eyes felt like they popped out of my head.
When the excruciating meal was over, the next destination was the penthouse suite. It was a lovely place, the tub could be swam in, and massive bed. With grumpy monster tucked in, I walked back into the living area where he had already sequestered the television and began to play with his phone. It wasn't business, I could have possibly understood that, ooooohhhhh no... he was betting on the horse races, watching it on the TV and on the phone with his bookie. This is my treatment, the wooing I deserve? To sit there and watch him garner and lose a fortune over some horses. Well, I thought to myself, I will let it slide, maybe he is just used to doing whatever the hell he wants around people, something I will call him out on later.
As my boredom continues to grow through spurts of conversation in between races, results, phone calls, and of course gripes about how much he won or lost; he finally says its getting late I should go home and clean up before tonight. I was dancing for joy in my head.
That night, the one major perk of this experience, was getting to see KA (Cirque du Soliel). I have only seen televised shows, and MYSTERE. Needless to say it might have made it worth it all. When my caller arrived and phoned me, not even coming up to the room or waiting in the Lobby by the way, the kid and I were excited to go. I was greeted very unceremoniously at the entrance by an awaiting car that I could not immediately identify. I admit, I am a bit of a car snob preferring European cars to anything else except for old Detroit steel. This looked like some Chrysler sportster, and while the lines were relatively clean, it lacked the sneer of a say, German automobile of choice. Curious as to the perks of this car, I later in the evening asked him why he chose this car...was it the styling, the handling, speed, what-have-you... The response was defensive, and I got a long monologue about how he isn't into flashy things, he likes what he likes. No need to say, as his 10,000 watch given to him by some movie star (supposedly) gleemed on his wrist, my brow was furrowed.
On my seat, a box was poised with a few large chocolate covered strawberries on the inside. It would have been a nice touch, except for the delivery was a bit off, and his constant assurance that it was a surprise, one that inevitably was ruined due to the popping open of the carton and my need to sit in my seat.
Did I mention that he was now in a Hawaiian style shirt with some pants, and retaining all his said bling? Oh yeah, well there is the visual for you. Arrival at the MGM Grand, was nothing short of unspectacular, even though I personally was all giddy inside. From the minute we got there the complaining began, and I am pretty annoyed by people in general, but over stupidity issues. One thing that I have learned is that there is always a line to be stood in, so if you don't want to stand in line, don't leave the house. After we finally get to our seat amidst grumbling and rambling about this and that, I am wide eyed and drinking it all in, the massive stage and great seats; my daughter is ecstatic as well. Then I look over to my "date" and see that he has managed no reaction, no amazement, nothing at all, so I ask, "Have you seen this before?" He replies, "No, never." Back to Poker face.
So the evening finally came to an excruciating close, and I went back to the hotel and took a bath. How could I get out of this mess? Could I survive another day of this? I cannot just grin and bear it for the sake of a few perks and besides, I don't want to lead anyone on. So after charging a few movies to the room as payment for my tolerance, the next morning before breakfast I packed my shit and high tailed it out of there. A sudden emergency with my dog arose, and I have to get back to meet the dog sitter at the vet. Ahhhh, crisis solved.

Disclaimer: I quit Sugardaddy.com as I am no gold digger, and this event occured many many moons ago....

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure the guy thinks he's the smoothest MoFo since James Bond, too. Heh. Sadly I have no problems imagining this dude--I've met way too many people like him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly I have no problems picturing this guy in my mind. I've met way too many people like him over the years. Always a treat, meeting humanity's ancestors, ain't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always a treat to meet humanity's ancestors, ain't it? Neanderthal, maybe? Unfortunately there are a lot of others out there just like him--and I'm sure he's convinced he's SO smooth.

    ReplyDelete